Monday, March 16, 2009

bubble chair


Bubble Chair by Eero Aarnio 1968

Based on the idea of the Ball Chair the Bubble Chair is a reduction of this design. As Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said: Less is more! A masterpiece of reduction.

Aarnio about Bubble Chair: "After I had made the Ball Chair I wanted to have the light inside it and so I had the idea of a transparent ball where light comes from all directions. The only suitable material is acrylic which is heated and blown into shape like a soap bubble. Since I knew that the dome-shaped skylights are made in this way I contacted the manufacturer and asked if it would be technically possible to blow a bubble that is bigger than a hemisphere. The answer was yes. I had a steel ring made, the bubble was blown and cushions were added and the chair was ready. And again the name was obvious: BUBBLE."

No comments:

Post a Comment